eFile Illinois Name Change - Step by Step

1. File Petition
File the name change forms in the county clerk (In Cook county, name change is filed in Municipal Civil division)
2. Contact Court Clerk for Hearing Details
Contact the court clerk office of the county where your petition was filed for hearing details (hearing time, date, location, and courtroom number).
3. Fill and File Remaining Documents
Here are the documents that you will need to file after you get the hearing details.
4. Publish the Publication Notice

Publish the publication notice of court date document on the newspapers of general circulation once a week for three consecutive weeks.

If publication in the newspaper puts your life in risk, you will have option to request to waive publication. You can file the following documents requesting court to waive publication:

5. Court Hearing
Go to the court with all the filed stamped documents and identification proofs on the day of hearing.
Note: While eFiling, it is not uncommon that the filings get rejected. We kindly ask for your understanding, as document rejections can occur due to various factors like missing information, incorrect formatting, outdated documents, documents' size, etc. The court filing fees deducted from the account will be returned back to the account within 3 to 10 business days, depending on financial policies of the banks/credit companies.